POSITION: CKCS GUIDANCE COUNSELLOR
WAGE RANGE: BASED ON QUALIFICATIONS
CLASSIFICATION: PERMANENT, FULL TIME
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Chief Kahkewistahaw Community School is looking to hire an enthusiastic and self-motivated person to fill the
role of Guidance Counsellor at our school. Reporting to the Principal, you will provide service on educational
issues, career planning and personal development to students and their families, implement assessments, and
participate in response planning for possible critical incidents/traumatic events. You will be a liaison between
students, families, and external services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Counsel students regarding educational issues such as course and program selection, timetables and
scheduling, school adjustment, attendance problems and study skills
2. Counsel students regarding career or vocational issues including career exploration and planning,
résumé preparation, job interview skills and job search strategies and make available to them a wide
range of educational and occupational information.
3. Coordinate co-op and school-to-work transition programs, and the provision of counselling and
information services, such as career information, professional development sessions and exchanges with
other educational institutions, to students, parents, teachers, faculty, and staff.
4. Consult with teachers and parents or staff and other professionals such as psychologists, speech
therapists and social workers regarding various issues and concerns, and with administrators and
community agencies regarding programs and referrals.
5. Administer and interpret standardized intelligence, personality, vocational, aptitude and interest tests.
6. Provide guidance to students regarding personal and social issues such as substance abuse, depression,
sexuality, eating disorders, anxiety, self-esteem, family problems, relationship and interpersonal skills
and anger management.
7. Provide guidance to students in crisis situations such as dealing with the death of a friend or family
member, suicidal tendencies, and abuse situations.
8. Any other duties as requested from Immediate Supervisor.
REQUIRED SKILLS. QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
1. Bachelor of Social Work or related Social Science degree.
2. Master’s degree in counselling psychology including courses in psychological assessments beneficial
3. Training in Crisis Intervention and Co-operative Discipline Techniques beneficial
4. Be punctual, dependable, and ensure that confidential matters remain confidential.
5. Possess a valid driver’s license and own a reliable vehicle.
6. Submit a pre-employment drug screen and current Criminal Records check within thirty days of
7. Must provide three (3) current written references along with updated resume.
DEADLINE: Wednesday, September 20th, 2023 @ 4:30pm
Human Resource Manager
Kahkewistahaw First Nation
P.O. Box 609 BROADVIEW, SK S0G-0K0
Phone: (306) 696-3291 Ext. #265
Fax: (306) 696-3201