POSITION: GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEM TECHNICIAN
CLASSIFICATION: PERMANENT FULL-TIME
WAGE: BASED ON QUALIFICATIONS
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Geographic Information System (GIS) Technician is responsible for
the administration, maintenance, distribution and end-user support of applications using spatial data relating to
land and natural resources consistent with the Kahkewistahaw First Nation Land Code, and other related
departments of Kahkewistahaw. The GIS Technician will be making maps, customized GIS applications and
manipulating data to serve a variety of purposes. They will read and interpret maps, manipulate, and understand
digital land data and manage data entered into a GIS database.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Develop GIS policies and procedures, including data standards, quality control procedures and
electronic land inventory products.
2. Meet with users to define data needs, project requirements, required outputs, and to develop
applications, obtaining and managing necessary GIS resources.
3. Responsible for the collection, conversion, import and export of data from the GIS system including
censuses, field observation, GPS, satellite imagery, aerial photographs, and existing maps.
4. Responsible for the daily input and editing of the GIS system, producing maps and graphs, using GIS
software and maintenance of hardware, plotter, etc.
5. Responsible for compiling file management requirements for GIS data from maps, databases, and other
6. Provide technical expertise relating to asset management.
7. Ensure that quality assurance on new or revised data conforms to applicable standards or policy.
8. Provides regular status reports on GIS system, highlighting issues requiring attention and evaluating
technological advances and promoting the usage of appropriate technology and application.
9. Liaise with colleagues and counterparts in other organizations to share information and procure data
10. Provides input into the annual work plan for the Kahkewistahaw First Nation.
11. Give continuous and meticulous attention to detail.
12. Any other duties as directed by Immediate Supervisor.
REQUIREMENTS, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
1. Possess a grade 12, and a degree in Geography, Cartography, GIS or closely related field would be an
2. Work experience in a related field of two years would be a definite asset.
3. Have experience and strong knowledge with computers and software programs.
4. Must have strong organizational skills and work independently with minimum supervision.
5. Experience in analyzing spatial data in a First Nations or municipal environment and translating client
requirements into appropriate GIS reports and thematic maps.
6. Knowledge of modern GIS tools and methodology for First Nations use.
7. Knowledge of data sharing agreements and grant applications with external agencies such as federal,
provincial, municipal, other First Nation governments or relevant organizations.
8. Ability to collect, analyze and summarize GIS data.
9. Be punctual, dependable, reliable, and committed to the position.
10. Ensure that confidential matters remain confidential and be willing to sign an oath of confidentiality and
oath of employment.
11. Possess a valid driver license and own a reliable vehicle.
12. Submit a drug screen and criminal records check within thirty days of commencing employment.
13. Must provide three (3) written references along with resume.
DEADLINE: Monday – November 8, 2021 @ 4:30 PM
Human Resource Department
Kahkewistahaw First Nation
P.O. Box 609 BROADVIEW, SK S0G-0K0
Phone: (306) 696-3291 Ext. #226
Fax: (306) 696-3201