POSITIONS: 2 LANDS ASSISTANTS (FULL-TIME/SEASONAL)
LOCATION: KAHKEWISTAHAW 1907 TRUST OFFICE
TERM: (MAY 3- OCTOBER 31)
WAGE: BASED ON QUALIFICATIONS
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 26, 2021
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Land Assistants will be under the immediate supervision of the Lands Officer and the Trust Coordinator. The Lands Assistant provides administrative, technical, practical, and functional assistance to implement Land Use plans, cater to land management, complete land improvement tasks, land protection clean ups, and any other work pertaining to and issued by the Kahkewistahaw 1907 Specific Claim Trust Office.
DUTES AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
- Provide support to the Lands Officer on lease management with respect to monitoring and compliance of grazing, agriculture, and haying leases.
- Communicate effectively and with lessees as it relates to general inquiries and monitoring and compliance of lease conditions.
- Provides input and support to the Lands Officer for updates and planning for the lands.
- Monitor pasture and range conditions, and accurately record for recommendations and reporting purposes to the Trustees; Monitor existing water sources on the pastures and make recommendations to alleviate any concerns for drought/lack water sources.
- Monitor, repair existing fences; Build new fence with gates and braces according to the Trust fencing specifications; Calculate and determine the amount of fencing materials required for current year fencing improvements; Transport fencing materials from supplier; and to and from job sites;
- Experience in checking/moving cattle either with a truck or ATV.
- Receive, ship, move and sort cattle as required utilizing low stress cattle handling technique.
- Accurately count and record cattle intake and out take numbers.
- Responsible for ensuring that all vehicles/equipment/trailer/post pounder/loading chute/power and manual tools/water troughs are cleaned, mechanically maintained and maintenance history is logged.
- Maintain and clean storage shed and storage yard.
- Any such duties assigned by the immediate supervisor or Trustees.
A probationary period of one (1) month and an evaluation at the end of the term employment.
REQUIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of office terminology, procedures, and equipment.
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks for effectiveness and efficiencies.
- Ability to deal with potentially difficult, hostile, or demanding individuals and respond in a calm and tactful manner follow protocols.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and written where directed to.
- Ability to interpret and apply applicable policies/regulations/procedures related to land management /use/acquisition and reserve creation.
- Ability to type and proofread; Ability to research, analyze, and interpret data and maps.
- Knowledge of sustainable farming practices; Knowledge of pasture management related to water and forage sustainability is an asset.
- Must be psychically fit as the job requires climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, running, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions; Ability to adapt to changing inside & outside weather conditions including cold, heat, noise, hazards, and atmospheric condition.
- Must be able to be transport, load, and set up portable panels and gates; Must be able to operate: a standard pickup truck safely; operate an ATV safely.
- Must be able to transport, handle, and operate a heavy hitter post pounder, and cattle chute safely.
- Must have full knowledge of cattle and handle cattle skillfully and safely.
- Must be able to count cattle accurately; identify strays and assist the lessee with placing strays in correct pasture; Excellent safety skills and awareness needed; Must be a team player and able to work without supervision, including taking direction.
- Must be willing to take safety training as required.
- Must provide your own work boots; Hammer & claw, fencing pliers.
- Work experience would be a definite asset.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and own a reliable vehicle would also be an asset.
- Provide a detailed resume with a cover letter summarizing your interest and enthusiasm to work for the 1907 Trust Office.
- Include Three (3) references.
- The successful applicant will have 30 days from the start date, to submit their criminal record check, prohibited drug test and driving abstract if requested.
Submit Resumes by Hand, Mail, Facsimile or Email to:
Marlous Louison, Trust Coordinator
P.O Box 910
Broadview, SK S0G 0K0
Fax: 306-696-2775 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
DEADLINE DATE: Monday, April 26, 2021