Article from the Saskatchewan Public Health Authority website:

Public Health Alert: HIV cases increasing in the East Central area of the Province

Public Health officials are notifying residents of the east central area of the province that there has been an increased number of individuals infected with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) in recent months.

HIV is spread from person-to-person through unprotected sexual activity and by sharing needles and other drug equipment. Sharing needles and other drug equipment can also spread hepatitis C, a virus that damages the liver. A mother can also transmit HIV to her infant during pregnancy, delivery or breastfeeding.

The vast majority of persons who get HIV often have no symptoms. You can’t tell whether you have HIV by how you feel. Some people have flu-like symptoms when they first get HIV (fever, sore throat or swollen glands). But many people have no symptoms at all. You can have HIV and not know it.

“We want the public to be aware of the risks associated with these infections, and how they can be prevented and treated,” said Dr. Chhetri, Medical Health Officer (MHO) with the Saskatchewan Health Authority.
“HIV is treatable. It is important that individuals who are sexually active or use drugs know their status for HIV.  Knowing your status means that treatment can be provided and individuals can be helped to reduce the risk of spreading the illness.”

HIV can be prevented by not sharing drug use equipment and practicing safer sex.  Safer drug use supplies and safer sex supplies are available at Turning Point Program in Yorkton at 109, 345 Broadway St. West, Monday to Friday 9:00 am to 4:30 pm and Stepping Stones Wellness Clinic 341 Stewart St. Kamsack, Monday to Thursday 9:00 am to 4:00 pm.

The only way to know if you have HIV is to get tested. Testing is free and confidential. Treatment is offered immediately to infected individuals. If you are diagnosed with HIV, the sooner you start treatment, the better it is for your health. Anyone can request testing to know their HIV and sexual health status by visiting their physician or nurse practitioner, or by attending a walk-in or sexual health clinic. If necessary, individuals may visit a hospital emergency department for testing.

For more information, visit or contact your physician, nurse practitioner or local public health office.–HIV-cases-increasing-in-the-East-Central-area-of-the-Province.aspx?fbclid=IwAR3JzGi-W0Q13xpZHD0RwR0b90QIcP18j78Qw_q2U0SoAWbv1uX5aPswxZM