POSITION: INCLUSIVE EDUCATOR
DEPARTMENT: CHIEF KAHKEWISTAHAW COMMUNITY SCHOOL
WAGE RANGE: BASED ON QUALIFICATIONS
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
We are looking for an Inclusive Educator to join our team at Chief Kahkewistahaw Community School. Under the direct supervision of the Principal, you will be responsible for teaching groups of students with mild or moderate disabilities. You will modify existing curriculum on basic subjects to meet each student’s learning requirements and build individual lesson plans tailored to their specific needs. You will also discuss with parents and support staff about important matters that might impede students’ progress. Ultimately, you will help and inspire children to achieve important learning milestones.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborate with other classroom teachers, EA’s, parents, and other school support staff (e.g., school liaisons, speech/hearing specialists, Jordan’s Principal) to provide an integrated plan for developing the capacities of their students.
- Plan and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, and equipment that reflect understanding of the learning styles and needs of students assigned.
- Plan and provide for the effective utilization of educational assistants, in consultation with the classroom teacher and subject to the administrator’s approval. This shall include establishing schedules, monitoring assignments and duties.
- Provide instruction outside of the classroom (pull-out), for a pre-determined amount of time, with the goal of increasing the student(s)’ skill level and independence to facilitate full participation in, and benefit from, regular classroom instruction.
- Support the classroom teacher(s) through sharing expertise and assisting with systematic instruction, particularly with accommodating diversity and multi-level learning.
- Conduct ongoing assessments of student achievement through formal and informal testing to help create a comprehensive learning program.
- Act as an advocate for the students as required.
- Monitor children’s behavioral patterns and arrange appropriate interventions if needed.
- Prepare students for transition to the next grade.
- Inform parents about their children’s performance and potential successes/problems.
- Coach/mentor other professionals who work with children with disabilities.
- Any other duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor.
REQUIRED SKILLS. QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Bachelor of Education Degree from an institution recognized by the Ministry of Education.
- Saskatchewan Professional “A” Teaching Certificate.
- A special education certification or working towards the certification with defined timelines.
- Successful teaching experience with intensive needs students would be an asset.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Saskatchewan Core Curriculum and Ministry initiatives.
- Knowledge of the role of other Human Service Agencies in the support of learning
- Good knowledge of current special education topics and methodologies.
- Experience working with children with a wide range of disabilities.
- Ability to create Individualized Educational Plans (IEPs).
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to establish a strong rapport with students, families, and school personnel.
- A patient, resourceful, and resilient personality.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Submit a pre-employment drug screen.
- Submit a current Vulnerable Criminal Records check with an updated resume and three references.
DEADLINE: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 @ 4:30 PM
Human Resource Manager
Kahkewistahaw First Nation
P.O. Box 609 BROADVIEW, SK S0G-0K0
Phone: (306) 696-3291 Ext. #226
Fax: (306) 696-3201
Applicants who do not submit the above noted information will not be selected for an interview.