Good day membership & fellow community members:
Over the last week our program managers, elders, pandemic team and leadership have met and have come up with solutions to contain and therefore reduce the chance of the Covid-19 virus spreading within our community.
As many of you heard last week, we were advised of 2 positive Covid-19 cases in our community and we want to ensure everyone is safe and taking the necessary safety precautions to protect ourselves and our families. Due to privacy laws, names will not be released, but rest assured both individuals are staying positive and slowly recovering. They miss their families, but better days are near. We want to emphasize that on-reserve membership are followed up by our Community Health Nurse, off-reserve members will be followed-up by Saskatchewan Health Authority. Contact tracing is initiated immediately and all contacts are prioritized based on exposure to the case and immediately notified with instructions on what the next step is.
We were informed this week that a band member’s child has tested negative and is showing no further symptoms. Please keep these families in your prayers, prayer is powerful.
As a result, there are and will be new restrictions set in place to keep Kahkewistahaw community members safe.
The following are the new updates and restrictions that will be enforced moving forward.
- Effective Monday, November 23, 2020 ALL offices have been closed to the public. Essential staff (Finance, Director of Operations, Executive Assistant, Finance, Director of Health, Membership, O&M and Leadership) will continue to work. Program managers will work from home. Business will continue as usual with these minor adjustments.
- O&M has prepared garbage and sewer schedule, this is posted on Kahkewistahaw “Official” FB page and website, as well as schedule of their workers. Copies were also left at R&R Gas Bar for membership to review.
- Water treatment plant hours will be from to 9:00 am to 1:00 pm daily.
- School Closure: All students will convert to 100% online learning effective November 30, 2020. A schedule of their online zoom classes has been posted on Chief Kahkewistahaw Facebook page, please watch for updates. EAs will deliver homework packages weekly.
- Border monitoring will be at the following entrances: Hi-way 201 south border, down the valley and West road. Fire Department Chief Stan Bobb is currently working with our relatives from Ochapowace Nation & Cowesses First Nation to ensure our teams are working together at the borders of our First Nations.
- Our curfew will be reinstated effective November 30, 2020. It will be from 11:00pm to 6:00am. Check stops will be done by our peacekeepers and our security patrol to ensure membership is safe. Any gatherings or parties will not be tolerated and RCMP will be called. This is in support of the Saskatchewan Public Health Order
- Health will be delivering information packages to all homes starting Monday, November 30, 2020 starting with elders home first, followed by homes with medical or vulnerable residents and then to the remainder of the homes.
We are encouraging all members to limit their contact with people outside their home until further notice. During this time and with the second wave of COVID-19 it is imperative you stay at home with your families as much as possible. Please only leave the reserve for essential reasons (food, household supplies, medication and doctor appointments).
Please continue to follow the Saskatchewan Health Guidelines for social distancing, continue to wash/sanitize your hands properly and wear your masks as it is now mandatory. If you are showing any symptoms of COVID-19 please call 811 to arrange testing.
That being said, let’s do our part to keep our community safe by preventing the spread of the Covid-19 Virus.