Kahkewistahaw is proud to offer sports related events and skill development opportunities to our members. Participating in sports is good for physical and mental health. Sports help develop leadership skills and equip athletes with the ability to set goals and build character. Participating in sports can lead to higher self-esteem and better social interaction. It also fosters physical activity and a positive lifestyle.
Past events have included:
- Twilight drive-in movie theater
- Community gatherings (feasts, etc.)
- Monthly game nights (board games, cards)
- Movie nights
- Family swimming (passes available)
- Sledding & weiner roasts
- Kahkewistahaw Winterfest
- Ice fishing derbies
- Off-reserve excursions
- Golfing (Last Oak Golf Course)
- Fairs, exhibitions (Yorkton, Regina, Saskatoon, etc.)
- Sporting events (Yorkton Terriors, Melville Millionnaires, Regina Pats, Ochapowace Thunder, Saskatchewan Roughriders, Saskatchewan Rush)
Kahkewistahaw ball teams has grown in numbers over the years. This year we sent our teams to Tony Cote Summer Games in Saskatoon and to the FSIN Youth Treaties.
Please encourage your children to stay active. It builds discipline, resilience, teamwork and confidence. Financial assistance may be available.
Other Sports Activities
The KFN Sports & Recreation program takes advantage of opportunities as they arise.
- Youth & community golf program at Last Oak golf course
- FSIN minor softball youth & adult teams
- 8 week fitness challenges
- Cross Fit K20 foundation classes
- Archery Clinics
- Equine Assisted Learning
- Community Swimming passes (Yorkton Gallagher)
- Recreation partnerships at Regina Northwest Leisure Center, Sandra Schmirler & Lawson Aquatic Center
- Hiking Club
- 2020 Halloween Excursions
- Adult Boot Camp
Recreation Financial Assistance
Financial Assistance is available for Kahkewistahaw band members (youth and adults) under the Sports, Culture & Recreation Program.
The Kahkewistahaw First Nation Sports, Culture and Recreation Policy has now been ratified by Chief and Council. The financial assistance will be payable per fiscal year (April 1st to March 31st) and will start November 1st, 2019. The following criteria applies:
- Band member youth (under 18 years) are eligible to receive financial assistance for their sports and cultural requirements to a maximum of $500 per year.
- Band member adults (19 years and over) are eligible to receive up to $250 per year for their sports and cultural requirements.
- All financial assistance requests must be made by completely filling in the application form. The completed forms can be faxed to (306) 696-3201 or emailed to email@example.com. You can request a copy of the application form to be emailed, mailed, faxed or can pick it up at the band office; or you can download the form by clicking the button below.
- You must provide proof of membership by submitting your Treaty card or letter from the Kahkewistahaw Membership Clerk.
- If you have already received assistance prior to the ratified policy, you must provide receipts and/or proof of expenditures to access any additional assistance. PROVIDE RECEIPTS!
Financial assistance will be as follows:
- Cheque will be made payable to the organization; or
- In the case of reimbursement, a cheque will be made to the applicant upon submission of a current receipt (within 2 weeks of purchase).
Eligible payments include:
- Sports equipment
- Pow-wow regalia
- Registration fees (camp, league, dance classes)
Please contact us before purchase if you are unsure if you will be eligible for financial assistance.
Please Note: Applying for financial assistance does not guarantee approval.
- Councillor Iris Taypotat-Scribe – Portfolio Holder
- April Bear – Committee Member
- Jory Crowe – Committee Member
- Clinton Bobb – Committee Member
- Nathanial Alexson – Committee Member
- Wayne Louison – Committee Member
Community Sports Coordinator
Phone: (306) 696-3291 Ext. 267
Community Sports Assistant
Phone: (306) 696-3291 Ext. 266